What is your work or job title? Are you proud of it?
December 14th, 2012 by Agent Kevin Miller
This blog has no point yet other than to ask you for your work or job title and definition. Hopefully in compiling, I’ll discover a relevant point. Will you help me real quick?
This comes from seeing a guy on Facebook who used his work title as the preface to his name. He was a pastor, so he had ‘Pastor John Doe’. I know some Doctors who do the same thing with their names. It just struck me as odd in the moment. Odd that they do this…or odd that we don’t all. And got me to thinking…
I actually posted this question on Facebook, but I want to go deeper. You can check it out here though: Facebook ‘Title’ Discussion
What’s my title, which is really the role I fulfill. For Doctors and Pastors, the title doesn’t say what they do specifically, it’s just the name of their role. Doctors have to have certain degrees to use the title, Pastors don’t necessarily, so a degree isn’t ‘t he point. And not all Doctors work on the human body, just as not all Pastors preach from pulpits. So again…it’s the overriding ROLE they get the title for.
So what about you and me? What would yours have to be in this perspective? And then what’s the definition of the title. Then…what is it YOU really do and how do you do it?
I’m mainly curious in compiling this to see if we can unearth something of value in the exercise.
- Title/Role: Doctor
- Definition: a person skilled or specializing in healing arts; especially: one (as a physician, dentist, or veterinarian) who holds an advanced degree and is licensed to practice
- What they do: obviously this varies widely, there are ‘Doctors of _______’ tons of things.
- How they do it: unique to each
- Title/Role: Pastor
- Definition: a spiritual overseer; especially : a clergyman serving a local church or parish
- What they do: Again, so many. Some preach, some teach, some lead humanitarian efforts and organizations, some just care for various sects of people in need.
- How they do it: again, unique to each
- Title/Role: Mother
- Definition a: a female parent, b: a woman in authority
- What they do: Birth, raise and nurture small humans from infancy to childhood to young adulthood and equip them to be independent
- How they do it: Not enough space on this page to list it all…
So in asking myself…I had to think. At first I though ‘Inspirer’ or even ‘Seller’, but that’s what the title/role does. I guess it would have to be:
- Kevin’s Title/Role: Business Owner (at first I had Businessman, but that was defined as: a man who transacts business; especially : a business executive, which could of course include those traditionally employed, which I am not. So maybe:
- Definition: a person who owns a business
- What I do: To be simplistic, I’d have to say: I run an online personal development and self-employment school and sell memberships.
- How I do it: I broadcast communications to the marketplace in an effort to inspire and motivate people to pursue freedom and inspiration in their lives by discovering who they are, what they can uniquely offer the marketplace and help them create a viable business where their ‘who’ and ‘what’ intersect.
What about you? Would you briefly state your:
- Title/Role: (what you are)
- Definition: (what that is)
- What you do: (what that title/role does)
- How you do it: (literally, the primary tasks you fulfill on a daily basis)
- Are you proud of this?
- If not, what would you choose instead?
Thank you…I’ll report on this!