From carpenter to speaker/consultant after life got critical
July 19th, 2012 by Agent Kevin Miller
I met Richard a couple years ago when he had a longterm, successful construction business in Boulder, CO doing high-end finish carpentry in upscale homes. It paid his bills but he was unsatisfied, longing for work that filled his wallet and his purpose. He wanted to help people in a significant way that went further than making their home look nice.
The bigger story however, was happening at home where his wife has been battling recurring cancer over the past 16 years. Life is serious and precious.
When life get’s critical it makes it much harder to invest oneself in activities that don’t feel of high value and worth. Like working all day to make a buck at something your heart isn’t connected to.
As his wife battles a possibly terminal disease…Richard doesn’t understand much of anything but…heart. Life. Purpose. Values.
This show is a snapshot of his journey in leaving behind the trade of his youth to enter into a vocation and service that encompasses his skills, passions and values.
Today Richard is enjoying great success as a Speaker, and working with business owners on how to leverage speaking as the number one credibility builder and customer generator for their businesses. Go to his website at www.RichardPalmerSmith.com and submit your email address to receive his free download on how to ‘Resonate Instantly With Your Audience’.
In this show you’ll hear us discuss:
- How his childhood uniquely prepared him for what he is doing today, unbeknownst to him till recently.
- How Free Agent Academy membership and events were an integral part of his progress (shameless self-promotion, but hey…it’s true!).
- How knowing and communicating your story is crucial to your business.
- How being self-employed allowed Richard to care for his wife during 12 surgeries in 21 months.
- How he looked to the future of his carpentry profession to realize the end was not what he desired.
- Why he boldly states that “There is no one who is successful that didn’t ask for help. People who are a success ask for help. End of story.”
- Why standing in front of the crowd makes you an instant expert and authority.
- Why people must know, like and trust you before they will pay you…and how to do that through speaking.
Folks, this is a stellar story of someone reinventing themselves, how and why. And as always, this is not just someone I found to highlight. I know Richard. He’s stayed overnight in my guest room. We’ve shared deeply. He tutored me in using a planer so I could build my deck. And four days ago I started a weight lifting regimin that he gave me (side benefit, if you hire him help you grow your biz, he can also help you grow your biceps. Keep it between you and me).
Be enlightened and inspired:
Free Agent Underground Show – “From carpenter to speaker/consultant after life got critical”